Thursday, June 3, 2010

Reflection Panel

Phillip Abrami, Concordia University, is talking to us about our federal government's Digital Economy Consultation Paper in his reflection on school libraries, with a view from outside of the field. The digital skills detailed in the paper give us a point of purpose for a national response. He went on to highlight the recurrent theme of our day, the import of evidence-based practice, along with the import of evidence-proven research for reference.

Ruth Hall, Ontario School Library Association, is reflecting on the development of Treasure Mountain Canada over the last year. In celebrating this occasion she is shining the spot light on the value of mentoring. What comes next? With the inspiration of TMCanada we have the opportunity to carry the dialogue back to our local contexts, our provincial colleagues.

Ross Todd, Rutgers University, is sharing his thoughts about our role to craft the future of school libraries and student learning. He suggests that we each write down three or four clear action steps that we can each take next, as we return to our schools and learning contexts.

2 comments:

  1. I've already completed a few of my actions pledged at the conference:
    1) Send a letter to my school administrators, school board members and our senior administrators for their continued support of school libraries in my division; having hearing all the cuts to school libraries, I'm proud to say that my school library understands the vital role teacher-librarians play in student achievement;
    2) I have spoken to my principal about my intentions to create a library learning commons;
    3) I have ordered several books to get me started over the summer thinking about how to move forward with my learning commons;
    4) I have suggested to our divisional library consultant that we study the papers from TM Canada next year in our PD sessions and the OLSA's Together for Learning.

    How are you doing putting your resolutions into practice?

    Jo-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think educating the parents is one of the key strategies for success in moving the Learning Commons forward to support student learning. Their knowledge about the necessary staffing needed for making the Learning Commons truly focus on "learning" will help in their advocacy for qualified teacher-librarians with library support staff to meet the learners needs using new technologies and best inquiry practicies.

      Delete

Join in the conversation about TMC7 papers. Please identify yourself. Comments posted by Anonymous risk being deleted by the moderator.